Posted on 6 Dec 2018 |
Posted in |
What is hay fever?
Hay fever and Aromatherapy
Sunshine has definitely been prominent recently – and that means that the hay fever season is still rife. If you are one of the ‘1 in 5’ unlucky sufferers, then do not fear this year; read on to find out how essential oils or our aromatherapy candles can help.
What is hay fever?
Hay Fever is actually ‘allergic rhinitis’ which is caused by pollen or dust that inflames the mucous membranes of the eyes and nose, causing runny noses, sneezing, and watery or itchy eyes. It sends your immune system into chaos, reacting to plants and dust by trying to push them out of our bodies. Whilst there are lots of antihistamine products available from the medical world to help treat the symptoms, the uncomfortable and irritating sneezing, sniffling and weeping can also be relieved with 'natural' aromatherapy.
Which essential oils can help with hay fever?
There are a few obvious essential oils that stand out when thinking of hay fever:
• Eucalyptus – having an affinity with the respiratory system, this aromatherapy oil is perfect for reducing inflammation and easing breathing
• Rosemary– having mucolytic properties, this helps with congestion
• Lavender – a natural antihistamine, this oil is soothing and can reduce irritation and relax breathing
• Lemon – this oil is anti-inflammatory for the respiratory system, improves immunity and is also antibacterial
• Chamomile – an anti-inflammatory relaxant which soothes and builds your pollen reaction (in some people, it can also be one of the oils that triggers hay fever, so test it first)
• Peppermint – this essential oil really helps open up the nose and also relieves headaches resulting from stuffed sinuses
• Tea Tree – a natural choice for anti-allergy and building immunity
There are so many ways to integrate these essential oils into your daily life to relieve symptoms, one of which is Aromatherapy Candles. If you would like to see our range of Candles please visit our website.